Monday, February 9, 2009

Motivate Me Monday!


This past weekend I got a chance to spend a lot of time with family... Aunts, cousins, my brother and nephew. I really enjoyed the mini family reunion. It is sad that it has been 3 1/2 years since we've been together. Time has a way of flying by so fast... and we don't even realize it. We all love one another so much. It shows in the way we talk and laugh and hug. Our memories are sweet and fun to share. Something I learned from my cousins this week was "taco night". They all get together once a month on the third Thursday for a night of dinner, games, chatting and time spent together. Not everyone makes it every time... but it is a tradition they've started that keeps their families close. Unfortunately for me it is a 4 hour drive to their house... but I have been thinking it would be fun to start my own version of taco night here in Bakersfield. I have LOTS of cousins and family close by that I never see. My motivation for you today is to make it a priority to spend time with family. When we were saying good bye on Saturday, we all stood around my dad (sick in bed) and prayed together. It was so special. It is something I will remember forever.

Sarah Mae over at A Warm Cup of Coffee (http://likeawarmcupofcoffee.blogspot.com/) gave us a prompt to use today if we wanted to... here it is:


When has there been a time where you felt weak (and maybe your prayers weren't being answered) but where you saw God ultimately use His strength through your weakness (or maybe you didn't see it, but you trusted)?


I would say right now is that time in my life. There is a lot going on and without God's strength to see me through it, I think I would fall apart. I feel like I am on auto pilot and taking things one day at a time. There are things happening with my kids, my dad (cancer), my job (crazy busy!) and more. I feel pulled in so many different directions right now, I don't know which way to go. God is my strength through it all. Pastor mark said something in service yesterday that really made sense. He talked about test taking and how when God tests us, it isn't to teach us but to see what we already know. I've shared that before... but then he said that during a test... the teacher is quiet. Once the test is over, you move on to the next level and the teacher begins to teach again. I know that God is always there... even when He is quiet. He will never leave me.

2 comments:

Friend Chick said...

Oh, I love hearing about families that love each other. My mom's family is like that. For Christmas this year there were over 30 of us, and all happy to be there. No fights or wishing we were somewhere else.

I will be praying for you during your "test". I like the analogy of the teacher being quiet. He is faithful and is always with you.

Sheila said...

We do taco tuesday at my house. I started it when Tyler and I would watch Smallville together. Then we added my brother and then sister. I haven't been able to do it for a couple of months, and now Tyler has practice on Tuesdays. We will start up again soon. It was just a great way to spend time with my family. You should totally go for it.